The old school was built in 1899 and was a marvellous school in its day. New houses were being built all around and none of the roads were tarmac (like Fife Street still today) In 1932 the infant school was built and two classrooms added to the old school for older pupils. Most children stayed at Spring Hill until they were 14 and then left to go to work.
The old school was getting expensive to repair and difficult to manage for all pupils so in 2002 it was decided to replace the school with a new building on land just across from the old school.
The old school has been pulled down . We hope to save some of the decorative inscribed stone to put in the new school garden.